View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #29
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjheiss View Post
Does anyone know the difference between nano and emacs22 from that repository? Does emacs22 work on the Kindle? I would guess it does, but I'm hardly even an amateur at Unix anymore.
Nano is a nice simple little "What you see is what you get" editor. The optware one can even be copied to the USB drive and used from there.

When I first got my touch, the first thing I did after jailbreak and SSH was to add /mnt/us/bin, and copy nano from an optware loop mount on my kindle 3 to the touch /mnt/us/bin folder. When added to the search PATH with an export, it works great.

Emacs on the other hand is an editor with its own "Cult of emacs", with devote followers that use emacs as their primary computer interface, and never leave it, doing everything from inside emacs. Religious wars have been fought between lovers and haters of emacs.

And of course the built-in vi editor has its devotees too. But never pronounce it "Vie" around them -- you MUST call it "Vee-Eye". Forget this at your peril!

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-17-2016 at 02:06 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote