View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
It depends how much you think your time is worth... a lot of ebooks can be had for like 5 bucks ....scanning even a short book can take a long time and then there is the whole ocr thing... I only did it once for a text book that was out of print.... never again.. I ended up scanning the thing into image format as a pdf... ended up as a 100mb monster and it took me the whole day and then some... do a google for the books you want you may be surprised at what you can fund
The books I scan tend to be rare and out of print. In some rare cases, they may be available as an ebook for sale, but without the original illustrations, which are important to me.

As for googling, I remember finding a couple titles through the Open Library, but they were awful. I cleaned one up and proofread, but honestly, would have been faster to scan and OCR from the start myself.

Most of the titles I want are fairly obscure, aren't likely to come to ebook form soon, if ever, and because the print versions are so rare, pirate versions tend not to exist.

Anyway, I'm a re-reader, and digitizing a few titles for my library has become a fun hobby. It's definitely not for everyone!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote