View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #161
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Also at a similar level of overall strategy, kiwidude's point about using ePub as the "master" and generating formats for various devices from that makes sense to me too and I plan to do that for nearly all formats except certain technical, graphic-laden, or otherwise complex PDFs which I'll keep in the record and not bother to convert. And not keeping the original incoming format in calibre in most cases makes sense to me too, if I keep those outside calibre in a "Raw Books" folder. If in the future I need it back in calibre, I can import it as a new record and work with it from there, plus easily merge it with the ePub/Mobi record if necessary. Personally, keeping those uncleaned formats in the same record as cleaned formats confuses me as to which is which. (That is why I originally started out using ePub as "master" and deleting all the incomings from calibre.)

I generally like how kiwidude does his library organization and workflow too and am presently stealing borrowing adopting as much of it as fits my needs - which is a lot of it - and will also incorporate a lot of it into the next KISS posts.

For the KISS posts I'm planning to separate into two separate posts, one for new users of calibre at the beginning level, with most of the conversion, format, and other technical discussion moved to one that's just documenting what I'm doing. Those will be titled something like "Keep It Simple for New calibre Users" and "My KISS Project". Those revisions probably won't be written and posted until sometime next month.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-29-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added PDF exception; removed comma from "Keep It Simple, for New calibre Users"