View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagarin Gambit View Post
[*]Portability is a considerable advantage of 6 inch readers. A 9 inch reader has the cost and size of a notebook or a tablet... the only significant advantage it has over them is the e-ink display and the battery life.[/LIST]
Hi there, I was in exactly your position about a year ago, and I would STRONGLY (and I mean, STRONGLY!) encourage you to go for a tablet. I am sure you can find something second hand that isn't that badly priced relative to the price of a 9" e-reader. In my experience, e-ink is a total drag for the kind of reading you do when you are conducting research. I'm sure there are others out here who disagree with me, but that is my personal opinion.

I use an iPad, annotating research literature with iAnnotate and Sente. The advantages of that in terms of functionality, quick browsing back and forth in a document, multiplicity and speed of annotation tools, and so on, greatly offset the advantages of e-ink display and battery life (I just charge my iPad overnight, sometimes every other night - as long as the battery can last you a full day, you're fine, you don't really need battery life for a whole month).

Last edited by jojoba; 09-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote