View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are two reasons for 5" screens, a) smaller devices and b) cheaper devices. If EInk screens were being produced in the tens of millions, then (a) would dominate but (b) may be significant given the current cost of 6" screens.

Since cost is an issue, these may be paired with older screen controllers which potentially reduces the software cost also (at least for established vendors with comparable 6" designs and their relatively mature software).

I would love to see a "high end" 5" design, because I do think that 5" is a good size for a "pocketable" reader. However, I expect to see modest extensions to existing 6" designs. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it will keep vendor interest high in the existing software stacks and time is always necessary to allow incremental improvements to occur.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote