View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Smashwords: When 5 stars is not enough.

In the past, I'd posted about SW's apparent review farms, where people left the same exact review on several books by the same author. I've found a new trick--apparently, Smashwords allows reviewers to leave multiple reviews, and then averages in all those star ratings.

I went looking for the highest-rated fantasy book. Currently it's Blood Prize (Book #1 of the Running Veins Series) by Stella Purple, a vampire erotica book. (Um. Description is NSFW.) It has 69 five-star reviews, left by a total of 14 reviewers, all on the same day a bit more than 2 weeks ago--the same day it was published.

I don't imagine there's much SW can do about scams like "author asks facebook friends to give 5-star reviews," but they could limit the reviews to 1 per logged-in person.

Last edited by Elfwreck; 02-11-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Stella Purple, not Blue.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote