View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Hi Jellby,

I read this book because of the recommendations in some of the technical sections of this forum about nice formatting. Well, to be honest, I was planning to look at a paragraph or three and not much more to check out the formatting. I haven't been a fan of the "classics" (too many scarred memories from high school) but did enjoy Zelda's epub of Three Men In A Boat. Well, I'm happy to say the first chapter hooked me in, and I surprised myself and totally enjoyed the book! The images looked superb and layout and formatting surpasses all of the commercial ebooks I've purchased.

I did make some scribbles as I went, and your opening post says all feedback is welcome, so goes with some more:
  1. The "Back" link for notes points to the start of a paragraph. On long paragraphs this means you can jump back a page when you return from the note. Is it possible to have the "Back" link point to the footnote marker itself? I can see the id=".." in the opening <p ...> tag so I don't know if it's possible to do this.
  2. The footnote labels are a bit hard to hit on my PRS-350. It's impossible to use a finger and I need to pull the stylus out to hit the footnote marker. A larger marker would probably not look as good though...
  3. Is the formatting of the "In the name of King!" with the blank line either side just before the middle of chapter 5 deliberate? It doesn't seem to match the rest of the book.
  4. In chapter 9 in the paragraph containing "They were dressed in striped hose ..." and a few of the paragraphs following there are quotes around non-spoken text. Are they meant to be there? I've still got the scribbles if you want a list of them.
  5. The headers for notes 13, 19, 20 and 22 where the header has a break has a text indent on the second line of the header so that the first line is centered nicely but the second line is offset to the right. The CSS doesn't seem to do this as far as I can tell.

I hope you don't take any of these negatives - they were only minor niggles and didn't take anything away at all from my enjoyment of the book.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote