View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #96
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Could you please check if issuing "setenv bootargs parameters" command before booting would change kernel cmdline?
Also, could you check what "bist fastboot" does?
that was the first thing I tried. The answer is no, setting bootargs env variable
has no effect. At the same time the 'saveenv' command is not implemented,
i.e. there's no way to retain the setting untit next boot.
AFAIU, bist stands for "BuiltInSystemTest". I'd prefer to avoid running that.

Looks like that detailed reviewing the 5.3.0 u-boot source code could be most efficient at this stage.
I tried to formally build the u-boot from supplied source tree, but quickly learned
that a key file (boardid.h) is missing. Had to recreate this file from various pieces
from various sources. Now this file is still incomplete and only partially correct,
but the u-boot binary can be formally built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
And now, thing not necessarily for you, but for everyone who can help - could someone prepare instructions for connecting PW with serial cable for someone who never did anything like that before? It's a disadvantage of owning only open devices - you can't learn how to obtain access to them, cause you have it since beginning
you can find very good discussions related to that on this forum.
Below is the PW specific, as I see it:
  • - it is much easier to open the PW than any other Kindle model
  • - I liked this serial cable/adapter the best. Yes, it is pricey, but the best.
  • - the traces carrying the serial console signals are really weak, so soldering should be done by somebody experienced. Putting the proper connector there can be considered as alternative.

HTH.

Last edited by h1uke; 11-14-2012 at 09:59 PM.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote