View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #69
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Did you read the article I linked to? The writer makes two points: (1) the technology underlying epub is ancient tech and (2) the publishing industry is being disaggregated.

Do you believe either point to be untrue?

As I understand the writer's conclusion, the net effect of these two factors is that dedicated EBRs based on epub and related formats are increasingly irrelevant, because they are being left in the dust technologically, and the publishing ecosystem they depend on is disappearing.

I merely add a third point, which is that it appears to me that Amazon does not intend to sell EBRs if there's not a profit to be made on that sale, without reference to the sale of ebooks.

Everyone seems to assume that for the dividing line between the old analog technology and the new digital technology, dedicated EBRs are on the digital side. But if in fact EBRs, despite being digital devices, are aligned with technology that is out of date, and depend on a pre-digital business arrangment that is being destroyed by the internet, for economic purposes they might be transitional devices, not permanent features of the digital future. I think that Amazon is betting that way. Apple already has. Sony has bet otherwise, and seems to be sinking. B&N appears to be hedging on the question, but ultimately, they'll have to do what Amazon is doing.
No of course I didn't read it, that's why I commented on it here...

And I stand by my comments... just because someone writes a blog and makes a few comments relating to their beliefs and experience, doesn't make it gospel... As Kovidgoyal says relating to inaccuracies in the article, they don't inspire confidence in the rest... it reads more like a sponsored info-ad from backlit screen producers... I mean you can equally say that 2D TV is an out of date tech and soon all TVs will be 3D - doesn't make that true either just as 3D hasn't dominated the cinema... none of these things affect the way people see... and there are many who don't wish to spend their entire lives having LCDs shining in their eyes...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote