View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But the copies were made in Europe, therefore legally.
I believe the original poster was talking about making additional copies for commercial sale in the US. That's what I believe would be illegal.

Quote:
Where is the illegality here? The book and the CD were legally acquired in Europe (bought, copied, whatever, because it's public-domain content in Europe). The book and the CD were legally imported into the US (I'm under the assumption that it's a single item, for personal use in principle). Is selling this in the US illegal then? Then selling the book should be as illegal as selling the CD.
Selling a book that you'd bought in Europe and taken home with you would of course be absolutely fine. Digital items are much more complicated, because the act of using them inherently involves making additional copies. My gut feeling is that it would not be legal to resell a digital file; even one that you'd brought back for your personal use, but if anyone thinks otherwise, I'd be interested to hear the arguments supporting its legality.

Quote:
PS. By the way, this has nothing to do with georestrictions.
Agreed. Georestrictions have nothing to do with this; it's simply a matter of copyright law.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote