View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you know how Rlauzon says that you don't own a DRMed ebook, you just rent it? Well, that may be the literal truth the DRMed PDFs.
The technical term is licensing. That is true for all e-content, drm-ed or not by law. The difference is that for non-drm books if you are careful to back up in an open format and migrate, you license them in perpetuity. You still cannot resell them but that's ok with me.

For drm'ed books you just license them for a while. I also have 2 or 3 drm'ed pdf's from the time I did not know what an ebook or drm are, and while I could redownload them when I changed pc's, it's possible I cannot open them anymore with Adobe 8 and I think redownload is not an option anymore.

Similarly I have an embiid book that I migrated when I changed pc's but next time I change pc is very likely I won't be able to.

However I extracted the content at some expense of time and effort (not breaking the drm incidentally, just snag and ocr) and I could not care less...

For the 3 Sony books I got with my credit, I expect that they will be available for a while but when I have the time I will extract their content too, so I will not be at the mercy of Sony...Connect may close tomorrow after all if Sony decides it's more trouble than worth.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote