View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Dear Pynch,

Did I tell you I'm French? Anyway, about La Recherche: which version did you take? I first downloaded first editions from BNF and they were terrible. Full of obvious misprints which made guessing sometimes difficult, and anyway Proust added all the time - it remained a work in progress till the end, which explains the number of versions. On paper I have the 3 volumes 1954 Pleiade edition (plus the 1971 Contre Sainte-Beuve whith Pastiche et mélanges and Essais et articles), which was superseded by a 4 volume edition, and there are many other versions. I prefer to keep the edition which I've read and reread since I was 16, and the closest I've found in free epubs is the 1946 Gallimard available on the BeQ.

What I mean is, for La recherche at least your edition needs a colophon about sources.

However, I'm deeply grateful to have everything. Many thanks once more, anacreon.

PS: Unfortunately, I have only the second series of Blanche's Propos de peintre, "Dates", précédé d'une réponse à la Préface de M. Marcel Proust au "De David à Degas", not the first volume.

Last edited by anacreon; 09-14-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: new information
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote