View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #1141
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Sorry mgmueller,
I think that Kindle DXG sports the most outdated firmware between the 9,7" devices on the market at present.
I don't get how can you be so happy with it: it has no reflow! It means no pdf with complex layout, because you just can't really use that kind of zoom.
And it's so slow when you load files of 400-500 pages, even if not bigger than 50 MB. Takes up to 5-6 seconds to turn a page.

I find it incredible that it's still full-priced!

Did you ever try Pocketbooks (902, 3, 12), Boox m91/92, enTourage edge (rip)?
I don't read PDFs on any of my Kindles. I agree, total disaster.
For PDFs, I still have my iRex 1000 for example.

But for now, I don't read any "professional" documents (text books, contracts, SLAs, ...) on any of my readers. Sometimes I do so on some of my tablets, but usually I simply use my highly mobile (and beloved) MacBook Air.

On Kindles I solely read my Amazon content, ca. 500 original books I've bought in the last ca. 18 months via the excellent Kindle store.
I still like the Kindle DX Graphite for various reasons:
- Pearl display. I don't see any need for another unit display-wise.
- Great battery duration.
- Free 3G. I always run out of SIM cards, so I love the integrated one. And I even can use it globally on my trips without caring about costs or provider.
- I still consider the Amazon bookstore (one of) the best. I don't download any pirated books, I buy every single one. Some of my favorite books I've bought even more than 3 times: nook, Kobo, Amazon, ...

I have the PocketBook 360 and I really liked it. Especially the extended firmware with turning pages vie G-accelerator.
I briefly thought about PocketBook 903.
But quite frankly: I already have 23 eBook readers and 16 tablets (if I count Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note as tablets). I don't need too many more dedicated readers. Already I can't handle the existing ones. Whenever I open any of my closets, half a dozen of my units again has run out of battery.

So, when buying new readers, I mainly focus on the content.
I have >> 1.000 of bought books for Kobo, nook and Kindle. So I've ordered exactly those 3 (the Kobo I already got) as the touch versions. For the moment I like the touch versions (weight, single handed usability) best and those 3 manufacturers make most sense for me.

BTW: I absolutely HATE ePUB.
Yes, it still may be the widest spread format.
Yes, it basically is the only format you can use on numerous readers/manufacturers.
But still: I have so many activations that I permanently run out of them. Whenever I buy a new gadget, I can't read my ePUBs because I have to request another activation from ADOBE.
Why is their DRM scheme that annoying? Why do I need 3 activations for example, when using 3 ADE DRM-apps (txtr, Bluefire, ...) on iPad or another tablet? Why can't the activation be bound to the MAC address for example? Meaning: 3 apps, but on the very same tablet = only a single activation.
Hating ePUB that immensely, I'm attracted even more to Kindle.
Yes, I know, nook and Kobo are using ePUBS as well. But I don't need my ADE account for them.
Yes, I could strip the ePUBS from DRM (I do so for archiving, but I'm rarely "working" with the DRM-free ones) and convert them. But why bother if there's no real advantage?

I have the BeBook Neo, which basically is Onyx Boox. I can't imagine myself buying another Onyx unit. I've used the BeBook Neo maybe 5 hours in total.
To me, those units are gadgets, not tools. Mainly I use them for fun and as a collector, I don't need them "professionally". And Onyx Boox to me was "typical Chinese" (sorry, no foul intended). Meaning: Great features, some very interesting ideas. But unbelievable ugly, cheap feeling and no fun at all.
Yes, it had some outstanding features. But I just want to read and enjoy the gadget in my hands. I never did so with BeBook Neo/Onyx Boox.

I've never seen any Entourage Edge live. But I didn't like the looks of it. Way too bulky. And again: No need for me.

What am I doing with my gadgets:
- Reading on the train, usually around 4 hours per session. iPad and other tablets are a bit heavy for that. I want to hold the unit with a single hand, usually in the right bottom corner. So I like the touchscreen units, where I can turn pages with my right thumb. I don't like page turning buttons on the right edge, you often can't reach them with your thumb.
I don't need a unit >6" for that and I find enough content in most of the bookstores. I'm perfectly fine with Kindle, nook or Kobo for that.
- Giving presentations. In small circles (2 or 3 people) I can do so on my tablets. In bigger circles I use my MacBook Air or simply hand over a memory stick.
- Writing presentations, contracts, reports, ...
MacBook Air 11" is a bit small. Maybe I should have gone for the 13" version. But I love the 11" portability, not much more bulk than an iPad.

To summarise:
I didn't buy any dedicated reader for maybe 18 months. Now I'll add 3 touch units: Kobo, nook and Kindle.
It's cheap low end units. But I didn't choose them because of the price, but because I've already got > 1.000 bought books for them and love the convenience of single hand use. For the stuff I'm reading on them, they are more than adequate.
For any other needs I have tablets, notebooks and desktops.

I would go for a flexible display, such as Plastic Logic Que, anytime though...

On my trips, I still will take my Kindle DX Graphite with me. Plus 2 or 3 tablets. Plus MacBook Air. And from now on, probably 1 or 2 of those small touch units.
(I'm known for my luggage. Sometimes I have an entire suitcase full of gadgets with me. On vacation I often even need a second suitcase for all the power supplies and cables .)

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-01-2012 at 12:32 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote