View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be clear: I still think Regex offers the most flexible solution for S&R for end-users. While a parsing S&R engine might be able to handle difficult, nested html better/easier, it's going to be limited to canned (even if slightly customizeable) scenarios by it's very nature. Want a new, highly specialized type of (x)html/xml-smart S&R?... wait for it to be added by the developers in the next version. Want some help with a multi-step regex solution to a particular problem?... ask for help on the forums and try the suggestions out immediately (and maybe pick up a thing or two along the way).

But I think it all just boils down to time and availability. If there was an open-source, highly intelligent, easily customizeable, (x)html-aware, drop-in S&R engine out there... I'm pretty sure it would already be a part of Sigil. And since I'm pretty sure there's not such a plug-n-play beast, it would seem to me that creating such a thing might actually be a bigger undertaking than Sigil itself. So I'm going to continue to use the "Open with" feature if I need to use any kind of complex parsing/editing that I can't get Sigil to do itself.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote