Thread: Accessory port
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Piezo earphones can be heard quite loudly driven by a germanium diode (1N34A or quivalent, as used in old "crystal set radios"). Perhaps your piezo speaker element wants 5 volts?

I would think that anything that can power an LED could surely drive earphones.

Also, piezo "speakers" are very frequency sensitive, with a small range of resonant frequencies. They work great as "beepers", but are very poor for general sound output. I would use cheap (dollar store) headphones or earbuds for testing...

EDIT: You were probably driving the piezo speaker at a frequency too low for it. They are not good at delivering low frequencies from such a small surface area (unless you use many of them in a phased array). They are GREAT at ultrasonic frequencies though.
I were not driving it at wrong frequency. No matter if I do
Code:
while true; do echo 0 > ${ac}; usleep 100; echo 1 > ${ac}; usleep 100; done;
or
Code:
while true; do echo 0 > ${ac}; echo 1 > ${ac}; done;
effect is the same. When I connect piezo to the oscillator, it works okay. I suspect there is some capacitor connected to the port in Kindle. If so, it would be hard to get higher frequencies out of the port.

New bad news: while writing this post I discovered I can hear ticks (about 5 per sec) on the piezo while the port is on. Also, I can hear eink updates clearly (try with while true; do eips -f ''; done) and I think wifi too! When I hold enter in the SSH, I can hear background noise.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote