View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Kunati
Publisher
Kunati began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, Sony Reader and PalmOne
New Member, Publisher who Uses Ereaders at Work

We lurked invisibly in this forum for some time. Your lively discussions helped us decide on our final reading devices for our Publishing Company. We were buried in paper (5,000 submissions in 6 months at our two offices!) and worse we had to shred every document, whether we acquired or not (most authors don't enclose postage for return, too expensive, and they submit copyrighted material, so shredding is a must for recycling). Plus, well, enviromental concerns, in our case. Yes, we publish paper books (and ebooks -- but 99% of our sales are hardcover books) but we didn't need to add to recycling boxes with manuscript papers. At least books are "keepers" on book shelves.

So, I was assigned the job of acquiring the right "reader." It was easy for us, because we're using professionally. The 8" screen of the Iliad is necessary for eye-weary editors. We were acquiring many, however, so this became a big cost. Still, eye-strain versus lower cost options. Iliad won out. We haven't had them long, but they're a big hit! I thought I join here and occasionally submit our reviews of the Iliads from various editors. We will use our readers more than most people, since in acquisition mode our editors might be on their reader 8 hours a day, or more. We even annotate when something critical in a manuscript requires a "reminder." For actual editing, though, of course, we use our computers (30" screens to mitigate eystrain again) or paper. But we edit 30 books a year this way, read a few thousand -- which makes the Iliad perfect. When Iliad comes out with a 10" screen -- I assume they will -- we'd go for that.

For personal use, I also have the Sony Reader, and the PalmOne with 4gb microdrive (which I've used for personal reading for a couple years or less -- perhaps read 200 books on the Palm One.

GOOD TO BE HERE. HELLO EVERYONE!
Kunati is offline   Reply With Quote