View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What historical period and country interests you?

Some suggestions (that are not romance in disguise):

Edit: I just realised you still wanted a love story....

Rose by Martin Cruz Smith
'Fingersmith' and 'Affinity' by Sarah Waters
Any book by Judith Merkle Riley except the last three - they're humour, it might not be what you are looking for?
'Possession' by Antonia Byatt
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant (BTW, even if there actually *is* half-naked woman on the cover (I just realised), it's not 'romance', so don't diss it bec. of the cover )

Moved these out of the way. Good historical novels, but not love stories:
Colleen McColloughs 'Master's of Rome' series
Roanoke by Margaret Lawrence
Lempriere's Dictionary by Lawrence Norfolk
'A Conspiracy of Paper' and 'The Coffee Trader' by David Liss
The Blood Doctor by Barbara Vine
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber
The Physician by Noah Gordon
I second Fingersmith, I really liked it. I JUST picked up Lempriere's Dictionary, and have been looking forward to reading it for a while. I am glad to see you mention it. After I am done think I will check out some of these other books that you've mentioned. Cheers.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote