View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
dsandrei
dsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMax View Post
Yes, this help, but this is not the whole story.
It doesent matter how small the single html file are in an epub, in my experience event an optimized epub will always be slower than an kepub.

The kepub contain specific css, and specific javascript code, and the html have a different structure from the epub generated by calibre.
Maybe that the kepub contain some kind of structural information that help the Kobo to render the page faster...
I didn't try any regular epub since upgrading to 2.0. I used the method (a little lengthy and potentially dangerous) describe here to force the device to treat epubs as kepubs. From what I've experienced so far I don't have "slow" page turns, I have font tuning and annotations. I also didn't see any javascript or css specific to kepubs(actually there are some in the kepub archives but I didn't include those and I didn't see any difference so I'm just assuming they don't matter. Maybe if you use another device like a phone?), only some additional spans.
About splitting the ebook: I usually split files/chapter. This way it's easy to have a link between the TOC and the actual files and it also gives an accurate page count.
Anyway, what I'd really like to see is either epubs supported as kepubs or, lacking that, an epub to kepub conversion tool.
dsandrei is offline   Reply With Quote