View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #26
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
ereadingdotcom: I appreciate most of my wishes are not currently not possible given the legality and the way the system works, but the question was "Your dream online bookstore" not "What, realistically speaking is your dream online bookstore"?.

Anyway, I mostly read public domain books anyway or DRM free where available.
Only if I absolutely must have a book will I jump through hoops to get it.

Actually for me it's changed my reading habits as I often read books by new authors who release their first books for free instead of spending my money on books.

If the system ever changes so I'm not penalised for buying (or as is the case buying the right to read, drm, ADE etc) books, then I will spend a hell of a lot more money on books, like I did when I bought pbooks.

I rarely buy pbooks now as they just take up too much space and are a pain to transport when moving.

The bottom line is the law regarding ebooks and their distribution doesn't change (and accepted work practices), then publishers and authors will increasingly suffer from lost revenue.
I appreciate piracy is a problem, but as a case in point, the Harry potter books weren't available in ebook format for ages. but they were downloadable from piracy sites within days (scanned and converted from the pbooks). so not even making a book available in ebook format didn't stop it being pirated.

I donot condone piracy, but making buying a book a hassle is doing noone any good.

This has been discussed time and time again on this forum though and I doubt any more discussion about it will be more enlightening, so I'll just stop here.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote