View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #204
laz666
laz666 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
U.K. E60

Ramsey,
Because I am impatient and I got an E60 for quite cheap, I have just installed the custom firmware on my U.K. unit by renaming the .bin file as E60k.bin and sticking it in the Firmware_Update directory, switching the thing off, then booting into recovery mode by holding volume up and power on at the same time. This will install the custom firmware, but you cannot yet go back to the original firmware because nobody can get hold of the U.K. version. As a result of switching to the custom firmware, the English dictionary no longer works (and selecting the dictionary icon will crash the unit and require a reset), but you do get the internet working.
I have written several times to Samsung U.K. and have had no luck in getting them to give any sort of meaningful reply, much less in convincing them to release the firmware.
Anyway, switching to the custom firmware doesn't brick the unit (since, in the event of a crash, you can always restore the custom firmware in the same way you installed it in the first place, by keeping E60k.bin in /Firmware_Update), but you can't yet switch back to the official U.K. version with a working dictionary. I do miss the dictionary a bit, but I'm hopeful that the clever people working on the custom firmware will eventually find a way to restore dictionaries.

In general, I've found the E60 an interesting bit of kit, although some of the software seems a bit undercooked. It irritates me that you cannot rotate ePubs and .txt files, and even more that once I rotate a PDF to read it more clearly, I can no longer write on it (which is the main function I was interested in). Custom fonts would be good too, as several people have pointed out. For now, I guess those of us who cannot contribute any useful programming to the custom firmware project will have to wait and see how it develops.

Laz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Hi All

I just bought an English E60 and have been trying to install the custom firmware from http://code.google.com/p/e60-open/wi...resdisponibles using the advice given on that site but am just getting a "No file exists" error. I'm guessing it is because my UK E60 is looking for a UK specific firmware update.
However, if I rename the foxfirmware bin file to E60k.bin and initiate a recovery boot, will that force the install? However that's risky as I might not be able to recover if I brick the device. Therefore, is there a further step I can take, e.g. I have read that the recovery process also looks for "E60.bin" "SNE-60.bin" "SNE-100K.bin" therefore can I rename the real rescue firmware to one of these and the hacked fox firmware to another one and then get the option of installing either in the recovery console? Has anyone else managed to get the custom firmware going on a UK E60? My current firmware is M-EB06S6EH-1003.0 and my model is LD06ESWPWT/EN, type ES06WS.

Thanks
Ramsey
laz666 is offline   Reply With Quote