View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
They were banned because they were considered subversive, too racey, used racial descriptions that were common to the time they were written, and other reasons like that. In The U.S. this occurred mostly during the 1950's, I think.
I'm not sure about that. Even of the books on Google's site, quite a lot were written after the 1950s. The ALA's list of the 100 Most Challenged Books is here: http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedboo...frequently.htm

(Note that challenged doesn't mean "banned", it just means someone tried to have it banned. I do think that actual banning has dropped off quite a lot recently, but it hasn't disappeared since the 1950s.)

On that list are many fairly recent books, like Harry Potter, A Wrinkle in Time, and more.

However, as far as I know, the US federal government hasn't ever issued a wide-reaching ban on any book. The bans are usually local school districts, sometimes state-wide. (Of course, public schools are part of the government, so it's a murky division, but there's never been anything that was stopped at borders or criminalized.)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote