View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
DRM Removal Questions

Hope this is the most suitable forum.

I was reading some of the news articles here about Amazon and TTS and DRM removal.

What I am not asking, and would ask anyone replying not to discuss, in order to comply with the forums policy.

- How to remove DRM.
- Where to obtain tools to do so.

What I am instead asking is for any suggestions where I can research the legality of doing so in the UK. I realise America has the DCMA, but I'm not sure what we have over here. Hopefully New Labour haven't sold us out yet.

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to have a DRM-free copy of any DRM'ed eBooks I own. If it is legal to do so.

As it stands I've been purchasing based on the premise that I understand I will be the only person permitted to consume the media, and it must be consumed on a platform that can use the Mobipocket software - i.e. my Cybook (and my PC I guess). If I can legally remove DRM then that may make the books more valuable to me.

Currently for example since I don't want to re-read Lord of the Rings I don't own it on ebook format. However if I knew I could legally strip the DRM off it, then I'd probably buy it right now, and read it whenever I felt like it, safe in the knowledge that even if I'm using a different reader in a few years time that doesn't have Mobipocket I'll still be able to.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote