View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I read far too fast to be interested in partial novels, published at various time intervals.
Uhm... Same here. Not only no interest, but I actually avoid them.

I got burned long ago in fanfic, where about 30% of the WIP (Work in Progress) I was carefully reading and saving was never finished. After several years wait on some, I just chucked anything that was WIP and stick with only completed stories.

Talking with the authors, they basically lost interest in story lines where they didn't get enough response. (And each author was different in how much 'response' was enough.) So they just walk away because there' no real incentive to write it anymore. Or they saw something shinier and went back to that other thing they were wanting to write about.

(And a very few had review demands that were never met. "I need 50 positive reviews on this chapter or I won't write any more!" Gotta love blackmail.)

And another problem I had with WIP's was when an author wrote themselves into a hole and couldn't get out, so the story was going a direction they either didn't want or were not interested in. (Another reason I don't like cliff-hangers at the end of books. Too many didn't actually get resolved.)

So I come with a lot of baggage when it comes to serial work. Don't trust the price (it'll add up!), don't trust the author to finish the work, don't like any real amount of time diluting my interest in an on-going story, and want the author to have it all written to their satisfaction before they post. (In other words, a finished product before posting. And if you're have that, why a series to begin with?)

Just not my thing. And, in fact, I'm pretty grateful for reviewers who point out that stories have cliff-hangers or are otherwise not complete. I've got one I want start, but don't dare, since the Cliffhanger warning came after I bought the book. I'll probably never read it now.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote