Thread: Seriousness English (or US) grammar
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
The following is (more or less)

Most Spanish nouns have gender. Thus, you can translate "friend" as "amigo" if it is a male friend or as "amiga" if it is a female friend. Plural nouns are the same, so you can talk about "amigos" or "amigas". But there is a catch. If among the group of female friends one has a male friend, then the plural is "amigos" like if all the friends were males.

Moreover, in Spanish there is a hint of machismo. We don't have a neuter term like "siblings", we talk about "brothers", even if there is one brother and five sisters. We don't have a term like "children", we say "sons". We don't have a term like "parents", we say "fathers". And so on.

We Mexicans like to copy trends from Americans, and political-correctness is not an exception. Now, some people talk about "amigos y amigas" instead of just "amigos". Since this is more cumbersome than the English "he/she", using the "@", like in "amig@s", is becoming more common.

In conclusion, I can understand the use of "they" instead of "he/she". Although I prefer some less confusing term like "s/he" or something similar.

I step down from the soda box.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote