View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've been thinking about that, plus the lack of major advertising so far, and I wonder if the smaller first batches wasn't a benefit to Sony for a few reasons:
1) They haven't had to spend much for rollout. It's all been press coverage and word of mouth as far as I can tell.
2) Might give them an early indication of demand without having to take on the risk of expanding production capabilities too early. On the other hand, production capacity might not be that easy to adjust, so this might not really be practical.
3) May give them an idea of where to ship existing stock that hasn't been placed
4) Makes the product look successful. Nothing worse than having them out there and not selling. Sold out signs make something look valuable.
5) They might even be able to tweak the advertising and marketing plans based on what they learn from early buying (and buyers!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote