View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[...] and I just couldn't believe the lack of problems with language and culture in general.
I enjoyed the book and thought that it was a fun read. In fact, I moved right on to Dragonfly in Amber, the second in the series. But I had to be very determined about ignoring the lack of language and culture problems. Connie Willis addressed both those issues in Doomsday Book, which we read last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Actually, rather than Jamie striking me as not behaving as a man might be expected, it was Claire who seemed to me to be the one who was not acting in a traditional gender role. Most specifically, it was the way she seemingly had no qualms about bedding Jamie for her own purposes that struck me as something a man would be more likely to do.
Reading the bold part of the above quote caused me to think: well, isn't that just the sweetest thing... I don't believe my own gender, generally, to have purer motives than men. We may, however, be more convincing at disguising our most base motives.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote