View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
In my view the solution is simple. A Calibre shell, with two modes. Where the Basic Mode is a much simpler graphical UI, dealing with the following functions:
I agree the concept of basic and advance views has merit, exactly how is not so easy.

Quote:
- DRM stripping
DRM stripping is not a feature of the calibre program and will not be added to the main program. So this point is out from the start.

Quote:
- Format Conversion (device driven and not technical nerdy file format name driven)
The idea is a good one but this may need to be nerdy file format name driven rather than device driven. As an example half of the Kindle formats do not work with half of the kindle devices. Although if you wanted to maintain the separate database/table required to match up the hundreds of devices out there with the various formats that they can handle or have the option to handle I'm sure patches would be accepted.

Quote:
- Backups (meaning storing files in a user determined location most likely to get backed up, not deep in profile folders no one can find)
Calibre works as most other standard book managers and places the books by default (for Windows) under My Documents in a library. Kindle, Adobe Digital Editions, Sony etc... do the same. From there it is up to user and local OS tools to perform a backup.

Quote:
- Transfer to Device
Improved in which manner?

Quote:
- Ordinary English
Always room for improvement, specifics though are not as easy.

Quote:
- Monitoring which device has what eBooks
Books on a device can change independent of calibre, but a more automated way of creating a column tracking a particular device might be of benefit. I also believe the Reading list Plugin may accomplish this.

Quote:
- Drag and drop UI.
A small portion of it is drag and drop now, like Send to Device. If you suggest specific items that can be added and provide benefit they may be able to be added. As you can tell most of the features have been added via user request or developer interest.

Quote:
- Book cover library display.
There is a Book cover library display (see attached), but not a grid based display. At some point maybe someone will have the time to build such a display.

I also think my attached images show a very basic UI when not connected and when connected to a device. This is how I choose to setup my UI.

Maybe specific feature request might help the conversation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	99467   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_connected-to-device.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	99472  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote