View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #152
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What major issues did you have with the book?
Hope not too many spoilers for those who haven't read it yet.

From the blurb I expected a romantic comedy. But after a zany, mad-cap beginning, the book abruptly shifts to high drama. Plus, I had a hard time warming up to the hero who seemed to think his family was a burden and was very condescending to the heroine. I get why having the heroine stranded in the small town was necessary for the plot, the way in which it’s handled was cumbrous to me.

The second half does improve with the introduction of a secondary romance. Maybe it comes from having lived in England, but I thought the author spent too much time comparing Australian words/phases to American. Sadly, much of the humor missed the mark for me. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I'd been in a different mood. But I remember it took me over a week to finish as I kept getting fed up with the characters and setting it aside.

While I didn't like it, I didn't hate it and I would try the author again.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote