View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #269
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Thin fonts are a known problem, because of the way that kindles use gray pixels for antialiasing the fonts. The antialiasing algorithm was designed for light-emitting displays, and does not work well for passive displays like eInk. Additionally, changing an isolated pixel using an electric field slightly affects neighboring pixels (which is what causes ghosting on gray pixels). The problem is that eInk displays work best with pure black and white pixels forming the core lines and curves of font characters, which is WHY you need a bold font, to ensure that no part of the character is "gray-only". As you can see here, thin fonts have some portions that do not contain black pixels:

The top font in the image is a "standard" kindle antialiased font. The bottom one has enhanced contrast that works better on an eInk display. This is especially noticable in poorly lighted conditions, or when the eInk is operating outside its optimal environmental conditions.

On my K4 Caecilia is dark grey. On my K3 it's black. I had to change the font on my K4. I am using Amasis that has been made heavier for the Kindle screen. Some one here modified it and did a wonderful job. It saved me from eye strain. I couldn't use my Kindle without it. It's not black but it's close enough. If there is such a color as off black. lol That would be it.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-17-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote