View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Not all the criticism was just from the hype, IIRC, nor from the pseudo-religious content. There were and remain some very valid points about the sheer sloppiness of the poor non-historical research done and WTF portrayals thereof*, glaring situational illogic within the storyline, and some very substandard prose quality, which are fairly well represented with examples over at TV Tropes and the Language Log.
The hype response would not have been nearly so severe had Brown not vociferously proclaimed his in-depth historical research. Add to that, as you point out, the many errors in non-historical stuff...

A ruthless assassin who goes out to kill a bunch of people...takes a single revolver...takes no spare ammo. This same killer makes numerous other major errors.

My main complaint about the book, however, was that it was boring. Very little happens in this thriller. Most of the book consists of characters giving lectures on the "true" history (most of which is bogus). I got the book from a Goodwill bargain table for about 30 cents and felt cheated.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail (the book where Brown got most of his "history") was equally bogus but I enjoyed it much more.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote