View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #15307
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Yes, it is rhyming couplets. That's how these epic poems were memorized.
No. Absolutely not. The Greek original assuredly doesn't rhyme - in fact the very concept of rhyming didn't exist in Greek poetry, because it's almost impossible to do in a highly inflected language such as Greek. You're right in saying that there were standard techniques for memorisation, but it didn't involve rhyming.

But we're straying off topic here. I hope you enjoy your Pope, but, as a classicist myself, I just felt obliged to point out that you can do an awful lot better if you want to know what the Iliad actually says, rather than Pope's extremely "free" translation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote