View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensonBear View Post
Putting this issue aside, what was the problem with those two files? I looked into the original html trying to find something that those files had and none of the other 220 files had. And indeed there was something: the value of the "name" attribute in various <a> files has colons in them. For references, for example "Carnap:23a" was used as a reference to a paper Carnap published in 1923. This was carried over to Calibre's command line ebook-convert epub files. I don't know if this is allowed in html or epub's xhtml or not, except that every program I tried does accept it: all browsers, all epub readers I have on my pc.
A couple of other comments: even if colons are not allowed (I don't feel too much like checking this out now, but I can't imagine why they are not), it is not because of that that Kobo failed. Otherwise it should just tell is there is a syntax error in the epub file. It should give much better behavior in this case, not a hang or crash.
You may well have struck upon something here. I had a web page from Wikipedia, saved in htm via Word and converted to epub by Calibre that would consistently freeze up the Kobo on page 6. Eventually I deleted everything after page 5, as that was all I really needed, and now the Touch can handle it.

I just went back and checked the original Word file, there are three instances of "Template:" in the offending page. So even though the epub imported into the Touch ok it looks as though the Touch may freeze on rendering colons in tags.

I agree that it's a very inelegant way of handling errors.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote