View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
Spelling, punctuation & grammar do matter.

The problems seem to be with author's back catalogues, as opposed to current books, which are OCR'd and then not proof read by the publishers. I've got many examples of books where 'the' has be rendered as 'he', 'rn' as 'm' etc. etc.

The worst example of this I've come across is Clive Cussler's Raise the Titanic. Its obviously been OCR'd and NOT proofread as there is a consistent error all through Part 3 of the book where the word 'cornet' has been rendered as 'comet'. Unless you know the story you wouldn't know what was happening especially as what happens here is crucial to the plot. I've attached a small sample of the text to illustrate this.

Publishers wouldn't produce a hardback or paperback edition with this lack of quality, so why can't they take the same care with ebooks?
"r n" -> "m" is an extremely common OCR error, and one which is tough to spot even when a book is proofed. Don't be too hard on them for that one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote