View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I agree with this.....Although Best Buy may have a better return policy (and I was tempted to get mine there).......I was impressed with the Nook stand they had set up at my semi-local B&N......I was in there 3 times checking out both the Nook Classic and NookColor.....the people they had at the kiosk, were very knowledeable, provided me with lots of info, and let me play with them......I brought my wife the time, when I finally bought my NC.....she thought I was very annoying......but the salespeople seemed happy with me....
I have several customers who come in a couple of times a week with new questions and ideas they need answered. It's fun to see them and always great to help. Like I told them, this isn't some little purchase. If answering questions for an hour helps you feel more comfortable dropping that much money, I'll sit there and answer questions. I don't want my customers unhappy with their purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
My first one had a defective miniUSB port on the NC. It was VERY (unusually so) difficult to get the charger/data cable to insert into the port at all, but I managed it twice on the first day that I had it... almost took it back as soon as I had gotten home and was going to charge but had trouble inserting the cable, but I didn't since after c. 10m of fiddling I got it to insert smoothly, and I hoped that all would be well and that it would loosen up eventually...

However, the next morning no amount of fiddling could get the cable inserted, so off to B&N I went as soon as they opened. The idiot there was trying to tell me that's just the way it works (WTF?!) and that is was fine (WTF?!). I made him plug the charger into power then asked him where the LED light on the cable was and why didn't the NC turn on? (clueless look on imbecile's face) Then he has a bright idea of trying their cable, same deal as it was the port in the NC, so finally I get him to try the demo unit... oh look it side right in and out no problem, but the idiot is still insisting that mine was fine until I point out several things to the imbecile, LED light was on on demo unit, and it inserted further. Finally they cough up an exchange unit, which I promptly opened to check the cable/port which was OK on that one... didn't turn on to check the screen, etc. as they actually had people in line (9a! New Year's Eve?!), but the rest is OK.

So not only are they failing at QA, they also are severely lacking in customer service and sales. (Went to look at a NC at the B&N and the woman that they had at the kiosk was more interested in reading her NC than trying to sell me one, but all I had planned to do that day was to take a look at one, but still... and when I did finally go back to buy one the woman at the kiosk made it seem like such a chore... I was about ready to tell them to just keep it...)

(I probably should've bought it at the Worst Buy(literally across the street), but their sales staff always puts me off as in they're useless and always trying to upsell crap that I don't want or annoying the hell out of me. Also on alot of electronics Worst Buy gets a crappier version that and sells it for a price that gets you one with better specs(and warranty) through say Newegg or Amazon... e.g. notebooks... NC would be OK since it only has one version...)
Gee, thanks for calling the salesperson who's trying to help you an idiot (twice) and imbecile (twice as well). Most of the time the nook expert isn't there right at opening so anyone who's there has to try to help. We're retail workers. Not everyone can afford these units and therefore doesn't have a lot of personal experience with them. We're all given basic training, but nothing in there is about "What if some dude's charger won't plug in exactly perfect?"

Second, you don't know if that woman is researching for someone else or not. I often use the NC to look information up for another customer and help troubleshoot the issue. I also have a lot of people who pause, look, and walk on. Just because she didn't fall at your feet for getting within 2 feet of the nook counter doesn't mean she wouldn't have helped you if you had questions.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote