Thread: Page breaks
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
As far as I understand it, the "page break" problem you're seeing is really just the way ePub books are designed. Unlike other ebook formats where the page count changes based on the size of the screen and the size of the font, ePub page counts are fixed. (I suspect they're based on a "normal" PDF-sized page, but I've never researched it).

So you get "page 1" for two or three page turns. You'll be on a page that's partly 2 and partly 3.
The Epub ebook format (like most ebook formats) has no concept of fixed page numbers, and isntead expects text to be formatted in "re-flowable"format so that it can dynamically be adjusted to fit the display size and font size in use. The page size is is entirely a function of the reading software, and the current font sizes you are using. The number of pages will change if you decrease/increase the font size while reading. What ebook reading software/hardware are you using?

What I suspect you are seeing is the cases where the headers/footers are embedded in the main ebook text. This is common in (illegal) ebooks that have been scanned in and the OCR'ed. It will not happen in properly formatted eBooks.

Last edited by itimpi; 05-30-2009 at 04:06 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote