View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@grannyGrumpy

When I played with the picture file, I've got a difference of 5 % in the file size, compared to the original picture with 16 colors (instead of 10-25% like you).
But why don't you save them as jpegs? I know that most MR members prefer the png format, because it is lossless. But you have greyscale drawings with only 16 colors. You don't loose more quality, if you save them as jpegs.
I have done the same procedure with a jpeg drawing as with the png drawing and then I have saved it with a compession rate of 0%, 50%, 70%. I must say that I don't see any difference, even when zooming in the picture (bad eyes?). But the file size is remarkably small.
See the palettes below. One is 256 colors, the other is 16 of 256 colors. Because the colors are 241 times black, it makes no difference in the quality when compressed (my understanding).

(I got PSP like you as shareware in the 90's and I am so used to it that I prefer it even to newer versions of PSP. You should try also IrfanView, which is free, small and very useful. I use it especially for optimizing files in jpeg format (plug in with good results). IrfanView also offers batch conversions of any kind, like renaming, file format, color depth, quality, cropping, resizing and so on. Think about it, if you have hundreds of pictures to deal with.)

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palette256.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	112343   Click image for larger version

Name:	palette16-256.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	112344  
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote