View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Beta Test of new Kobo Driver

Hi

I am looking for brave users to beta test a new Kobo driver for Calibre. This driver displays all the books on the device (delivered 100 free books, ePubs and PDFs).

More importantly, it allow you to delete books properly (at least I think so). It removes all database references, book files (pdf and ePub) and image files.

It was developed on Linux on the Beta branch of Calibre. See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82755

For details on how to download the beta version. If you are a current Calibre user be aware that this version upgrades your Calibre database and you cannot go backwards (read the entire reference thread for details).

So, you are testing a beta driver on beta software. You should be very afraid ;-)

How to proceed:

1) Download and install calibre-0.6.95
2) Start Calibre
3) In preferences go to Plugins and disable the current Kobo driver
4) Add the attached kobo_plugin.zip
5) Close calibre

6) Attach your Kobo to the computer
7) Completely backup the device (including the hidden .kobo directory). You are mostly concerned with .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite and .kobo/images but any ePubs or PDFs should be backed up as well

8) Start Calibre
9) Verify that all the books are listed (on my test system 15 to 30 seconds seems about right to list the books)
10) Attempt to delete a book. I would start with a pdf or epub and finish with a kobo book. It can take some time to delete a book (5 to 20 seconds).

As far as I know, this is the first software to allow you to delete/manage books on a kobo.

There are no guarantees. I will offer assistance where I can and review bug reports. I am not responsible for your library, what you delete, what you lose... Make sure you have a full backup and you are comfortable with how to recover or do not try this.

That being said, expect limited response tonight as I am taking a break to read a little for a change.

Oh, I have done very limited tested on Windows (listed and deleted a book) but as above, it was developed on Linux. Also, I have the Canadian verion (not sure it matters)

If it causes an issue, simply disable the plugin and re-enable the delivered driver.

Tim

The latest version of the plugin will always be in this message until it ships with Calibre
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-plugin.zip (5.3 KB, 744 views)

Last edited by timlegge; 06-21-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Updated the plugin file with a new version
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote