View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
I'm not an expert on this, but the last time I looked at e-book stores in Japan, it appeared to me that XMDF was by far the dominant format there - much more dominant than any single format is in the English-speaking world.

So to them, it's not such an oddball format. They probably think about like we would think of an American or European company entering Japan with products that use ePub.
It is likely that XMDF is designed specifically for, or at least with, the Japanese language in mind. I'm not an expert, but when I watched the video I noticed that many of the documents were designed to be read vertically from top to bottom and then from right to left, different from way English text is read. Based on this, it might have been more practical to develop a document format specifically for the Japanese language rather than trying to adapt an existing document format.

Just my observations, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote