View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #187
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc View Post
I'm terribly disappointed they didn't find a way to use all that extra screen real estate to display newspapers in a more newsprint kind of way. Perhaps an exact replica of newsprint isn't possible on the DX, but it would have been much more interesting to do something approaching it. The DX presents newspaper content in the same uninspired way the Kindle 1 and 2 does-- a way that looks like an MS Word document with a picture inserted at the top. Hopefully, Plastic Logic's trial with the Detroit papers will take a different approach.

On a more positive note, I do love the native PDF support, as it would allow me to finally read all the academic journal articles I need to that come in PDF, which I cannot read on my Sony Reader. Still, I think I'll wait to see what Plastic Logics has to offer
You can still go to the online newspaper areas and see them that way.
Right now the K2 fits an entire webpage of complicated columns (well, 3 or 4) onto the little 6" screen portrait-mode of course, using TINY letters but the font is actually readable for a nearsighted person like me. But the grayshades substituting for website colors is pretty bad when the letters are so small. Seeing it in the landscape mode of the 9.7" will be quite good. In the meantime, for just quick reading I have that NYTimes Latest News 3x a day, and the pure text with very good navigation is fine by me, on the K2.

Here's a multi column pdf to show what the DX can do -
http://images.pcworld.com/news/graph...0112_slide.jpg

There are a lot of good examples in the article it came from.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote