View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
ePub is trivially convertable to MobiPocket, which the Kindle can read.
No, only a subset of epub is trivially convertible to mobi. And the only reason the mobipocket desktop software exists, I suspect, is that Amazon didn't always own mobipocket. Amazon seems to have an utter disregard for inter-operability:

1) They completely unneccasarily introduced a new file type even though it is mobipocket under the hood
2) the actually *removed* support for the Kindle from the mobipocket desktop software
3) They have made absolutely no noises (that I'm aware of) about supporting epub
4) they charge for delivering free content to their users. This doesn't really have anything to do with inter-operability but it is my pet gripe
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote