View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #40
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
I have been rereading Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion for about 25 years now, and only yesterday connected the similarities between the two Elizabeths. Both are fascinated with rank, both have considered an entail held by a cousin as a lure to matrimony, and both are their father's favourites.

Neither have interest in or accomplishment in household management, but have sufficient social skills to be confident in public. Why then do I laugh with Elizabeth Bennet and wince at Elizabeth Elliot?

Perhaps if Mary Bennet was the protagonist, Mr Collins would have looked less ridiculous and Mr Darcy more so.
That's a great insight! I've never noticed the parallel links between the two Elizabeths. It's as if the Elizabeth of Persuasion is a kind of dark mirror of the character in P&P.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote