View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
I use the content server a lot, but I had not seen this change. It's probably because I usually search for a specific set of books (by the same author) or I sort by title or series, not author.

Nonetheless, this change does seem odd. If I sorted on author in the content server, I suppose I'd expect it to use the author_sort field, as it does in the GUI. I don't think I'm sorting authors when I select that field, I think I'm sorting books, and I've come to think of that sorting as being controlled by the author_sort field. In Kovid's example of Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg, I don't expect the author sorting to show anything under R or S. Previously I would have expected it to sort under A, now it seems to sort under I. It doesn't sort under both authors.

Respectfully, I don't understand this change either. If the author_sort field is available to the content server, then it's simply a matter of which field is used to sort when the author field is clicked. I'd prefer the author_sort, as that's what I expect.

If there was a "tweak" allowing the content server author sorting to be by author_sort, or a checkbox option, I'd use it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote