View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Hi,
I used your handy "insert chapter" tool on a book that Stanza loaded in as one chunk of text...I added about 20 chapters total.

But Stanza does not seem to recognize these chapter breaks-still loads the book as one huge chunk.

What does constitute a "chapter" in ePub format? Is this just a case of Stanza not recognizing it?
Well EPUB books will always be displayed to the user as "one chunk of text". Chapter breaks split the text in two XHTML flows, but this should appear to the user (in a Reading System) as a page with a "page break". That is, the text after the break will appear on the top of a new page and continue from there. The term "chapter break" is probably used only in Sigil and is meant to indicate that it is usually used to split text where the user wants a new chapter to start. As I've said, it will split the XHTML flow into two separate flows at that point. This is important to note, since long flows slow down the display of the book on portable reading devices (slower page turns etc). There are also other technical reasons why you should keep the size of a flow to a minimum.

If you want to have some sort of text saying "Chapter #", then just add a heading with that text after such a chapter break. There is no built-in semantic concept of a chapter in the EPUB specification (and there doesn't need to be one).

I suggest you read up on the EPUB format if you want to know the details (perhaps in the EPUB subforum on this site). I also suggest analysing how other EPUB books are made. There are many right here on MobileRead.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote