View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #53
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
I have been a huge advocate for eink devices and believe that if you read for long periods of time that an eink screen is a much better choice than a tablet, however, tablets have their pace. Many of the 7" deices are fairly close in weight to eink devices and battery times are constantly improving. I have a 10" tablet and have found myself reading on it more and more often. My tablet works quite well for 3D gaming, writing grant proposals, submitting office work, watching movies, etc. In fact I don't even use my laptop anymore because I can do everything easier and faster on my tablet. When you're doing everything else on a tablet it becomes less attractive to switch to another device just to do something that you could just as easily have done on the tablet.

I have a feeling that most people are looking at the cost of a new eink device and the cost of a cheap 7" tablet and seeing far more value in the comparably priced tablet. It's the same reason that more folks are using their phones as MP3 players even though stand alone MP3 players have far better battery lives. Why spend the extra money when you can get everything in one package? As people have less and less to spend on luxury items it becomes more and more about value, both perceived and actual.
If you can use a pad to type - in an extended, all day business sense - then you have my admiration. You are the only person who I have heard make that claim. I type at around fifty/sixty words per minute, as do most professional writers, and on a pad that drops back to less than twenty. As for 3D gaming, most of the (popular) games won't run well on anything but a recent computer with a high end graphics card - according to the younger designers in our graphics section. (They are dedicated gamers.) Maybe you like very different games. A pad is good for watching movies, reading email, many simple things, but as a computer replacement for either a gamer or a professional - no way. All of our staff have them, but most, like me, leave them in the office if they need to do real work outside the office.

I stand by what I said, the pads - for a professional or a gamer - are a simple compromise. Try running Adobe CS 6 or Microsoft Office on one. Pages is about as close as you can get to Word, and it sucks. Try to run something as simple as Scrivener; you can't, even though they have been "in the process" of developing it for iPads for more than a year. Pads are useful, they have their place, but they are neither a computer nor an eReader, not for extended use.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote