View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
TW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattylibrarian View Post
A few weeks ago, I made the choice to buy the Kobo Arc over the Nexus 7 tablet, but suddenly I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.

Everytime I hear about a really great app that enhances the Android experience, it seems I hit a brick wall because the application isn't compatible with the Kobo Arc. I don't know if this is because the Arc is still using Android Ice Cream Sandwich, or because of the GPS requirements that have been talked about in other threads, but the overall user experience is starting to leave me with a bad aftertaste.

I know that developers can't comment on product releases, and nor should they make promises about delivery that they can't keep. But right now I'm starting to feel like I have a $200 paperweight with limited functionality. I wish I'd known about the Android GPS limitation before purchasing the device. I wish I'd known about the very real limitations between ICS and JellyBean. Had I known, I know I would have made a different choice.

Is anyone else feeling a bit burned by their decision to buy an Arc?
Try using an alternate store like Aptoide to load apps. Some of the apps in the Play Store require gps or some other component the Arc doesn't have or you're not in the correct geographical location (usually the USA) and so won't install. I get the same issues with my Samsung which is a full feature tablet with gps and for which certain apps can't be installed from the store but they actually work fine once on the tablet. There are actually more apps for ICS & older...Jelly Bean is quite recent.
You can get the Aptoide installer from the Play Store and then use the Aptoide site to get the app in question.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote