View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #105
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
dgatwood, --

The second argument, specific to books, is that a significant proportion of readers buy a book and read it just once, so they're not going to care a lot if they can't get it back again. This doesn't cover everyone (it doesn't cover me), but it does mean that the problem of disappearing servers is less significant (statistically) than it may appear. --
I will speak to that good point. I myself read books once 98% plus of the time. The other 2% of the time, I may read a portion and skip around or I am using the book for a reference. That is one reason I like to buy used paperbacks to mark up. I have some perfectly awful books, that had some unique way of expressing or describing something that impressed me and I have saved them. I put a tape on the spine and cover and write what the reference is.

Some verse I may read many times. Some verse I memorize.

Now I admit that over the years I didn't just as a matter of course toss books. Why would I do that? Then they piled up enough that I found a reason.

Now the above doesn't cover the books, I started, then skimmed, then skipped around in to begin with and finally, usually, tossed or gave away. And by the way, I seem to be doing TV series that way also. They just can't keep my interest.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote