View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #683
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

I went to http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/codesourcery and downloaded ALL versions of toolchains and tried them ALL with kindlepdfviewer. These are my findings.

First, I tried the oldest, 2005q1b. Luajit reported error - it needed at least gcc 4.2. So, I skipped versions before 2007q1-10, since the 2007q1-10 was the first to have gcc 4.2. All other versions, 2007q1-10 to 2012.03-57 compiled without errors, with the exception of 2008q1-126. It didn't compile at all. It reported this:

Spoiler:
Code:
make -C mupdf CC="gcc" build/debug/cmapdump
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer_test/mupdf'
    MKDIR build/debug
    CC build/debug/cmapdump.o
    LINK build/debug/cmapdump
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kai771/kindlepdfviewer_test/mupdf'
cp -a mupdf/build/debug/cmapdump mupdf/cmapdump.host
make -C mupdf clean
rm -rf build/debug
make -C mupdf CC="gcc" build/debug/fontdump
    MKDIR build/debug
    CC build/debug/fontdump.o
    LINK build/debug/fontdump
cp -a mupdf/build/debug/fontdump mupdf/fontdump.host
make -C mupdf clean
rm -rf build/debug
# build only thirdparty libs, libfitz and pdf utils, which will care for libmupdf.a being built
CFLAGS="-O3  -march=armv6 -DNOBUILTINFONT" make -C mupdf CC="arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc" CMAPDUMP=cmapdump.host FONTDUMP=fontdump.host MUPDF= MU_APPS= BUSY_APP= XPS_APPS= verbose=1
mkdir -p build/debug
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -O3  -march=armv6 -DNOBUILTINFONT -Ifitz -Ipdf -Ixps -Icbz -Iscripts -Wall -pipe -g -Ithirdparty/freetype-2.4.10/include -Ithirdparty/jbig2dec -Ithirdparty/jpeg-9 -Ithirdparty/openjpeg-1.5.0-patched/libopenjpeg -Ithirdparty/zlib-1.2.7 -Dverbose=-1 -o build/debug/ft_ftbase.o -c thirdparty/freetype-2.4.10/src/base/ftbase.c -DFT2_BUILD_LIBRARY -DDARWIN_NO_CARBON '-DFT_CONFIG_MODULES_H="slimftmodules.h"' '-DFT_CONFIG_OPTIONS_H="slimftoptions.h"'
thirdparty/freetype-2.4.10/src/base/ftrfork.c:409: warning: 'ft_raccess_rule_by_darwin_vfs' defined but not used
thirdparty/freetype-2.4.10/src/base/ftobjs.c: In function 'FT_Match_Size':
thirdparty/freetype-2.4.10/src/base/ftobjs.c:2524: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:https://support.codesourcery.com/GNUToolchain/> for instructions.
make[1]: *** [build/debug/ft_ftbase.o] Error 1
make: *** [mupdf/build/debug/libfitz.a] Error 2

Of those that did compile, zips compiled with 2007q1-10, 2007q1-21 and 2007q3-51 worked on Kindle "out of the box". The rest of them didn't (I suppose they need sysroot).

I also tested linaro that comes with Ubuntu again. This time it compiled (thanks to dave2008's Makefile fix), but of course, it didn't work on Kindle (Again, I suppose it needs sysroot).

Since twobob said that 2008q1 is "the last TC that compiles natively (Runs applications without replacing the onboard system libraries) for the Kindle 3", any idea why it is the only version that didn't work with kpdfview?

Last edited by Kai771; 09-21-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added link
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote