View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
May I ask why you feel the need to write another general purpose ebook manipulation library? In any case, I think there are already two projects using the name ebook-tools, you should probably pick a more distinctive name for you're project.
It's a bit late to change, unfortunately. I RFC'd the namespace EBook::Tools to modules@perl.org and Perlmonks quite some time ago and nobody pointed me to any conflicting projects, and the name is now officially registered in the CPAN index. I ended up waiting a month or so to work out out some final issues and functionality before my first main release, and still nobody mentioned anything at those two sites. I suppose I should have RFC'd here, but it didn't occur to me at the time, since I was thinking more in terms of it being a Perl library than application project.

As to why, it's because no other code seems to do what I need, which is to be able to unpack my library into a standard format retaining as much metadata as possible, standardize the metadata such that it is consistently searchable, and repack it. So as long as I had to write my own tools, I figured I might as well make it a general library so that my code could be easily re-used, rather than a set of one-off scripts.

My next release will probably handle eReader unpacking, since that's the next personal itch I have to scratch, and I don't think anyone has done a one-stop eReader to OEB tool yet. After that, probably hooks for external generators.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote