View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i was very disappointed with the jill patton books. she has none of the feeling of the people or relationships imo. as a fellow wimsey enthusiast, i'd be interested to hear your opinion of the pattons if/when you read 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lord Peter Wimsey is, I think, my very favourite series of detective books. He seems like a real person to me; his character develops from book to book, and he's a person you CARE about. I've not yet read the Jill Patton Walsh Wimsey books. I know that the first two were based largely on Sayers's work; the most recent is entirely her own work.
isn't that funny? to me, it's the exact opposite! on the other hand, it might have made a difference that i started the books out of order with "black as he's painted", which was my favorite despite its heavy dose of period racism. and i loved two of the side characters in this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm working my way through Ngaio Marsh's books at the moment - I've read the first five so far. Thus far I've not been terribly impressed; the stories seem a little superficial compared to Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers. I'll stick with them - perhaps they get better as they go on?

Other favourites of mine are Elizabeth Peters's "Amelia Peabody" stories, mostly set in Egypt at the turn of the 20th century, and Lindsay Davis's "Falco" books, set in 1st century Rome.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote