View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For at least 10 years I've not had a good bookstore experience in my city. The biggest bookstore in town decided on a new concept and removed about half of their bookcases in favour of tables. This might look nicer but at the same time their selection was decreased. Since I mostly read English books and their English section became noticeably smaller (mostly classics and popular fiction, which I'd already read or was not interested in). Also, their personnel doesn't/didn't have much knowledge about their stock: I once asked where I could find their Discworld selection and was told they didn't have any, only to find almost a full bookcase of Discworld books myself two minutes later.

The last straw was then, just before I got an ereader, I wanted to start the Jaz Parks series, I had seen several books of that series in stock and went to get the first in the series. After I couldn't find it I asked and after looking it up I was told they had the whole series in stock except for the first two books which they never had had in stock! When I asked if I could order the first book I was told it would take very long (two to three weeks) and was asked if I would really pick it up when it arrived. I offered to pay up front, but that wasn't possible. In the end I ordered it online. I've only been back to buy travel books and gifts.

The only bookstore that I can spend hours in is the American Book Centre, which has shops in Amsterdam and The Hague, especially their Amsterdam store I love.

Getting an ereader (first a Sony, now a Kindle) has made getting books I like a lot easier and faster.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote